The final Learning Session for the ASNS initiative was held on March 1, 2018. The ASNS initiative included over 72,000 infants born in North Carolina, nearly 60% of the births in the state. Through the incredible efforts of 49 PQITs, the following was accomplished:
• decreased antibiotic exposure of newborn nursery infants by 47%
• reduced continuation of antibiotics after 48 hours of negative cultures for 110 newborn infants
• reduced NICU antibiotic days by 22%, 442 days a month or 5,304 annually
• ended antibiotic exposure after negative cultures at 48 hours for an additional 27 NICU infants per month or 324 annually
• trend to reducing continuation of antibiotics after 48 hours in 22-31 week infants by 36% and avoided antibiotic continuation in 72 infants less than 31 weeks per year
Congratulations to all ASNS PQITs on a job well done!